Saturday, we went to a Maple Open House at Swiss'er Sweet Maple farm in Castorland, NY. The entire county does a "Maple Weekend" up here to promote sales of their syrup and other products. They do tours of their operation, etc. Its very interesting. And yummy!! Here are a few pictures.
Gabriel felt that Daddy needed some crackers while we waited for the tour.
This 12,000 gallon vat holds the pure maple from the tree until its ready to be boiled.
Here is pure syrup after being boiled.
There is a thermometer for temperature and another one that checked the density.
Then it goes through this machine and the pieces of paper it runs through removes impurities.
From the 12,000 gallon vat at the beginning... you get 15 gallons of syrup!
It was a lot of fun and very interesting!
Don't you just wonder who figured out this process and what compelled them to do so? I mean, how did someone go from seeing the sap on the tree and tasting it to boiling it into a syrup? I think about odd things, I know. :)
ReplyDeleteI do wonder that! You're not alone? I mean, how did they know that there was anything IN the tree to pull out and then... why lick it? LOL
ReplyDelete