Our latest "battle" in parenting Gabriel is standing on furniture. Some people don't think that this is a big deal, but I do. A. Its just the start of good manners. B. I'm really not up to a trip to the ER when he falls over the back or something and breaks an arm/leg/neck/whatever!
Whenever I am roaming the house doing chores, working in the kitchen or in another room, I can tell when he's standing on my couches. He's quiet. Because he knows.....
Reasons that I know that he knows:
I walk through the living room and see him and he IMMEDIATELY gets down.
When I say "Are you supposed to stand on Mommy's couches?", he shakes his head no and says "Uh, uh."
He occasionally says "Uh oooohhhhh" when he sees that I've caught him.
When he sits down, he then folds his hands in his little lap and rolls his eyes up toward the ceiling with a "nothing to see here, Mom. Go on about your business" kind of expression.
Now most of the time, I have to forcibly suppress laughter at his response. Its cute and even being completely annoyed that he keeps doing it... I can't help it. He's funny! So I give him the chance to get down and if doesn't comply, I put him on the floor. If he gets right back up, he gets a warning swat on his leg (that he can't even feel b/c of his jeans - I know b/c he laughs at me most of the time) and put on the floor. If he STILL doesn't get it... time out in his room. I put the gate up against the door frame so he can't get out and can't shut his door (another new favorite past time) and then I go do what I need to do for a bit.
Lately, I haven't needed to go past the warning. He gets it. He knows. I know. And I'm just trying to not laugh at that innocent little look with his hands folded neatly in his lap. LOL
No comments:
Post a Comment